Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tomato Basil Soup


Tomato Basil Soup


There’s a SMALL area in our backyard that we turned it into a vegetable garden. Our tomatoes are turning red, the herb-ish scent of the basil is spreading in the air… perfect combination to make the Tomato Basil Soup from SCRATCH by using the fresh produce!!! 

To give it a little sweetness to the soup, I've added 1 packet of "ketchup" I got from the fast food restaurant... hahaha! not my fault, sometimes they just gave out too much ketchup for one small bag of french fries. So now you know, do not throw away the precious free ingredients~


my free ketchup...


Soup Ingredients:
* 5 ripe tomatoes; chopped
* 1/3 medium onion; chopped
* 1/5 cup of basil; chopped
* 3 cloves of garlic; minced
* 3 cup of water (or vegetable/chicken stock)
* 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or cooking oil
* 1 packet of ketchup
* black pepper; to taste
* salt; taste

Garnish Ingredients:
* 1 slice of bread
* butter

Soup Directions:
* saute onion, garlic & basil (only need half of the basil for now) until aromatic in a stockpot, medium heat; add the tomatoes.
* saute all the mixtures together, and use your spatula to squeeze out the juice from tomatoes.
* add water to the mixtures; bring to boil.
* add in the ketchup + remaining basil; simmer uncovered for 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
* season the soup with black pepper & salt. 
* to blend the soup is optional; I only blended half of my soup because I like a little texture from my soup. 

Garnish Directions:
* use the cookie cutter to cut the bread into a shape.
* butter the bread and bake until golden brown. 





































my cost….
Basil
Free
(from my backyrad)
Tomatoes
Free
(from my backyrad)
Garlic
$0.06
(5 bulbs of garlic each bag, about 10 glove; 99cents a bag, used 3cloves)
Onion
$0.11
($0.99 a bag, total 3 onions, only used 1/3)
Bread
$0.15
($2.99 a loaf, about 20 pieces a loaf, only used 1)
total
$0.32
*cost is not including the seasonings.

if you like what you see and what you eat~ please follow me @ my facebook page....!!! 

https://www.facebook.com/SuperHungryChick

No comments:

Post a Comment